In this sedentary lifestyle where most of our days are spent sitting on a desk, working out has become a necessity and no longer remains a luxury. The gyms are always filled and that is great, but did you know you could injure yourself while working out? No, we don’t mean by dropping a heavyweight on yourself. We mean you could be prone to many internal injuries like sprains, muscle strains and even torn ligaments. And No this information is not an excuse for you to stop going to the gym or to stop working out. But just a disclaimer for you to start safe exercising.
What is Safe exercising?
Safe exercising makes you less likely to hurt yourself or suffer from any injuries. With Safe exercising, you can follow these tips to avoid any injuries while taking care of your health.
- Hydration: This is no secret that being hydrated always helps you, but being hydrated while exercising is 100 times more important. Do you know why ? Well, while working out an average human sweat a lot which leads to dehydration in the body. In-taking fluids like water can balance out your hydration level. Having water also reduces the soreness of muscles experienced post-workout. Don’t forget to sip the water every 15 minutes while working out and save yourself from injuries and pains.
- Equipment Knowledge: Have a proper demo before using any equipment or machine. Let your trainer show you, how to use the machine before stepping on it. Having a tailored routine for yourself is very important as it considers everything from your weight to any health conditions you have.
- Workout Gear: Yes, this is as important as choosing your type of equipment. What you wear in terms of shoes and comfort makes you more or less likely to injuries. Having tight grip shoes on a treadmill is as important as knowing how to work out on a treadmill.
- Stretching: Warming up and cooling down before and after the workout are so underrated. Stretch your muscles before you start exercising, such as jogging or doing yoga, to prepare them for activity and prevent injury. Afterward is the time when your muscle needs to be stretched again because it will stiffen up from use during exercise.
- No repetition: Repetition of the same form of exercise is not advised every day. Change your exercise routine every week for your muscles to contract and tone in different positions. Following the same workout, every day can make your body rigid and prone to injuries.
- Listen to your body: Your body needs rest on some days and it whispers through constant soreness and pains. One of the best ways to avoid fitness injuries is to know your body’s limitations. Don’t push yourself to the point of pain. If you feel pain, you may be injured. Stop your workout, and rest for a day.
When it comes to weight lifting, don’t just lift the weights in any way you like. Ask a professional or a trainer to guide you.
Keeping these few tips in mind while starting your workout journey is beneficial for you in the long run.
But, what if you somehow you still injure yourself after taking all the precautions? Does it get severe? Is there any non-medicated way to cure yourself from the pain? Yes, there is. Physiotherapy can help to make you pain free.